Yesterday I received a phone call from my Dad stating he was on his way to Pontiac General Hospital for surgery. He doesnt go to the doctor like he should and he neglects his health a lot. He doesn't always give me all of the details either. I know he's had some back troubles and a hernia. He's had problems with his colon and his cholesterol is around 500. He always finds a way to change the subject if I start asking a whole lot of questions. You can imagine my suprise when I heard he was getting ready to have surgery. He called me last night again around 10:30 p.m. saying he was getting ready to go to bed. It was obvious he had taken his night time meds because of his slurred speach. He said that he took his medicine and was gonna get some sleep...even though his doctor clearly told him not to take it because he was due for surgery. I was so mad at him. He is worse than a child sometimes. I hung up and looked the number up to the hospital he was staying at. They let me speak to his nurse and I taddled on his stubborn butt lol I didnt want them to take him into surgery and not know he had taken anything. I was informed that his surgery was going to probably be sometime today and that she would let his doctor and other nurse know.
He called me again this morning. He sounded kind of groggy. He said he was going to ask for ice chips because he was dying of thirst. I heard him speaking to someone and asked who it was. He told me it was the pastor. He said he thought it was wierd that he just finished saying a few prayers and the pastor came in to give him some books. Those of you that know my dad should know that for him to even mention God or prayer is a big deal! I can tell his heart has changed quite a bit from that young punk he used to be. For those of you that dont know him, just know that he will be 52 in August but has always acted like he was 25. This whole year has been strange with dad. We've had to deal with a lot. He's started talking about "if something ever happens to me..." and he even made sure he updated his life insurance information and sent me an extra copy of the official papers. From time to time he will make a comment about how he doesn't think he has much longer. He always says he definitely doesn't think he will make it another 5 or 10 years. Hearing this, even though it's very much a part of life, is scary for me. Mostly because I think he is right.
My dad has always lived this fast paced and thrill filled life. He's always looking for a good time and party. I am like him in some ways...but others im not. He has spent most of his life working at GM and driving fast cars. Boy does he love his hot rods. My love for old cars was definitely inevitable. It's in my genes. My dad has always had a terrible temper but at the same time would give his last dollar to someone in need. He was kind of dumb with money actually lol His heart always meant well...sometimes his execution was a little off. He always chased the wrong women and always has drama in his life. He is just like his father. My grandma always used to say that. I have a strong sense that his time is indeed coming to an end. I could just be paranoid and he may live another 10 years...but I dont think so. I've known my whole life that Dad doesn't take care of himself and has ran himself ragged his entire life. People who do this don't live to a ripe old age. He is now seeing the importance of quality health but it's too late I believe. His body has been abused with everything from car wrecks to drugs. As time has went on, I have tried to prepare myself for the day I get the phone call telling me he went to Heaven to be with grandma. I don't want to be devastated...I can't be devastated. I can't handle that kind of suprise...so I have to be prepared. I know when he goes it will be just me taking care of funeral arrangements and such. Let's just hope I am wrong and he doesn't go for a long time.
I try to talk to him as much as possible...usually around 3 times a day. Either he will call or Ill call him. I make sure I never ignore his phone calls because I know one day those calls wont come anymore and Ill wish more than anything they would. I know life isn't forever. We are here temporarily. Heaven is our Home. We are here for a short while only and I know this. I don't ever want to take anything for granted. I literally try to seize every single day I have. When Dad called me this morning he said he was going to "kick my butt" because I told on him lol I giggled a bit and explained to him the importance of listening to his doctor. That part of him will never change. So for right now, we are just waiting. I don't know exactly what time they want are planning on doing surgery. He said he had an ultra sound this morning and was in some pain. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment